Using the Parallel Bibles Feature

Suggestions and Ideas about new features
MPaul

Re: Using the Parallel Bibles Feature

Post by MPaul »

The Literary Lineage of the King James Bible 1340-1611, by Charles Butterworth, Octagon Books, New York, 1941, reprinted 1971, page 10.
It is a surprise to many people to learn that in addition to changes in printing, spelling, and punctuation, a number of minor corrections and improvements have been made since 1611 in the wording of text itself. Obvious errors were soon corrected, and sometimes fresh mistakes were made, to be corrected in their turn. There were, in particular, four editions of the King James Bible which introduced most of the changes and improvements that have become established in our present text. Two of these were published at Cambridge University in 1629 and 1638, the third was edited by Dr. Thomas Paris, of Cambridge, and appeared in 1762, and the fourth by Dr. Benjamin Blayney, Oxford, in 1769.* Since that date, the text has been reprinted practically without change, aside from the omission of the Apocryphal Books, which were generally included between the Old and New testaments down to 1826.

*For the benefits of the curious, these specimens will show what kind of alterations were made in the text:
(1) In Romans (12:2) the edition of 1611 read: “what is that good, that acceptable and conflict will of God.” “The edition of 1629 introduced the present reading, “what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.
(2) In I Corinthians (15:48) the original edition read: “As is the earthy, such are they that are earthy”; the edition of 1638 first gave the present reading, “As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy.”
(3) In I Corinthians (13:2) the 1611 version read: “and though I haue all faith, . . . and haue no charitie, I am nothing.” In the edition of 1762, this was changed to read, “have not charity,” etc.