Hebrew Font Accent Issue

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
darrel_jw

Hebrew Font Accent Issue

Post by darrel_jw »

Hello Tim,
I am having trouble displaying any Hebrew word that has accents in a pop-up. For example Judges 1:1 and Joshua (H3091). The transliterated Hebrew should display as yehôshûa‛ yehôshûa‛. But what I get in BA for Windows is square boxes for the accent marks. The Hebrew characters display beautifully, it's just the transliterated characters that has a problem. If I click on the Strong's number then the Strong's dictionary also shows the incorrect transliterated word and accents, as "yeho"square box"shu"square box"a'".

If I run BA for Linux 5.04 the pop-up displays everything beautifully.

So my question (I think) - where do the pop-ups get their text from? It doesn't appear to be a font file, but I am at a loss right now.

Thanks,
Darrel

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Hebrew Font Accent Issue

Post by Tim »

This is a font issue. The font used in the popup cannot display the special characters.

In stock Windows the default font is Verdana and the characters render correctly,
popup.png
popup.png (17.51 KiB) Viewed 21994 times
If you are running Windows emulated in Linux another font may be substituted.

Try changing your base system font and see if it helps.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
Well it is interesting. Not had much success getting it to play nicely under Wine. But I have installed it in a Windows 7 VirtualBox and BA 5.1 plays beautifully including pinning the maps! It's not as fast as the Linux version nor running it under Wine, but is usable.

I do hope you do not give up on the Linux crowd. This group will increase in numbers, particularly as BA for Linux continues increasing in functionality. Currently my main workhorse is theWord, followed by PC Study Bible - primarily because of the Greek and Hebrew study tools. But both of them are Windows programs. BA is not far behind, and it has features lacking in the other two. So please continue with BA for Linux. Thanks Tim

Darrel

bromichaelhenry

Post by bromichaelhenry »

Hello,

If you install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer, you can change your system to use the Verdana font.
screen.png
screen.png (31.51 KiB) Viewed 21916 times
It works awesome under Linux Mint 18 Mate.

God Bless.
Bro. Michael Henry
Associate Minister
Monticello Christian Church
Email: bromichaelhenry@gmail.com
Phone: 870-308-2436
http://www.bibleanalyzermodules.com

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hello Bro. Michael!
I installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer on Linux (actually XUbuntu 16.04) and now the accents are displaying beautifully! Thanks, I do appreciate it. Have you had any success or workarounds for pinning multiple locations in the physical map? I can only pin one and even now (on 5.04.15) I am getting an error in imgviewer.py when pinning even one location.

Darrel

bromichaelhenry

:oops:

To be completely honest, I have only looked at the maps to get a general idea. In the five years I've used BA, I haven't went further. Let me play with it today and see.

God Bless.
Bro. Michael Henry
Associate Minister
Monticello Christian Church
Email: bromichaelhenry@gmail.com
Phone: 870-308-2436
http://www.bibleanalyzermodules.com

bromichaelhenry

Hello Darrell

Can't test it right now :D