V 4.9.2.10 Speed Issues

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
John45

V 4.9.2.10 Speed Issues

Post by John45 »

When I start up Bible Analyzer the first time after starting the computer it takes 27 seconds. My first reference search takes 5 seconds, the second 3 seconds, and the third 1 second.

I have a fairly fast laptop: 2.2GHz Core I7 processor, 4GB Ram, 1TB hybrid hard drive.

These speeds seem slow to me. Anyone else notice this?

John
John

Tim
Site Admin

Re: V 4.9.2.10 Speed Issues

Post by Tim »

This can happen with any Bible software if a lot of modules are loaded. There are a few things you can do, however, to speed Bible Analyzer up.
  • The first is divide your modules into separate sessions in Session Manager (Ctrl+M). For my use rarely do I need access to all the titles at the same time. Session Manager allows the user to make up to six custom groups of titles. Plus, any session can be loaded at any time without restarting Bible Analyzer. This alone will speed things up considerably.

Another speed up is to hide the Reference Panel (Ctrl+R) when not needing it. The Reference Panel is a very powerful index of every Bible reference in every module, but all that power takes a little time to execute. When a verse reference is changed and the RP is visible, Bible Analyzer searches through all the indexes looking for the reference. These indexes can represent many gigabytes of data. When there are relatively few modules loaded this is barely noticeable, but if many are loaded there is a delay. When not needing the RP just hide it with the mouse or Ctrl+R. Then the indexing is not performed.

Another speedup can be not having the commentaries synced to the Current Reference when not needed. There is a Sync button in the Commentary Toolbar that when ON updates every loaded commentary to the current reference. When the reference is changed all commentaries are changed. If you are not using the commentaries in a study, just switch the Sync OFF and changing Bible verses will be speedier.
Try some or all of these and Bible Analyzer should regain much of its speed.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)