Menu bar in Version 4.x

The place to post any Bugs or Problems you may have with the Current Release Version
mat2010

Menu bar in Version 4.x

Post by mat2010 »

Tim,

Frequently in Version 4, I notice that the menu bar disappears. I don't even have to touch it or move around other toolbars. It just is gone. Since I can't right click and bring it back, the only way to restore the menu is to delete the mainLayout.dat file.

Just wanted to make you aware of this.

Mike

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Menu bar in Version 4.x

Post by Tim »

If you can tell me what steps cause the menu to dissapear, that would be a big help. In the meanwhile run the BA-reset utility to reset all the settings. It should be in your Program Files/Bible Analyzer 4 folder. If not, you can download it from here, http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/BA-Reset.exe
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

mat2010

Post by mat2010 »

Tim,

On a laptop with Windows 7 Starter when I try to move the quick reference toolbar into the Menubar it stops there as it should. On another laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, I can drag the quick reference over the Menubar causing it to disappear. After this I have to erase mainLayout.dat or do BA-reset to bring back the Menubar. Both laptops use Intel processors: Intel Atom (1gb ram) for the first laptop and Intel 2 Solo (4gb ram) for the second laptop.

So, it's a strange behavior. If you can't reproduce it then perhaps a right-click menu can be implemented which would include a View submenu where all the toolbars can be toggled on/off.

It's not a big deal, but, one time I went for quite a while thinking there was no Menubar in version 4.

God bless,

Mike

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, this is an odd issue that I can't reproduce. The file menu is not one that can be hidden from the program. It is supposed to show all the time. All the others can be hidden.

I'm still trying to find the cause, but unless I can reproduce it consistently it is just shots in the dark, pretty much.

Have you tried restoring the default layout (button "L") to see if that will bring the menu back?

Thanks for your report.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

I seem to be having a similar issue in 4.5 beta for Linux. My menu bar is gone. Can't figure out how to get it back. I deleted the .bibleanalyzer directory and reinstalled BA 4.5 as well. No good.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Hum, did you just start BA once and it was gone?

It is a standard OS generated menubar so I don't know what could be causing it. The previous issue under this topic was a custom rendered menubar, but I did away with it and solved that problem.

I know in 11.10 the menubar is auto-hide. Is yours like that?
Tim Morton

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

The autohide bar is under gnome, i believe. In that case, when i do max the window, I see the bar bar on the top. when i lower the window, the menu goes away.

I am using XFCE for the most part, and I cannot get any menu bar at all. To tell the truth, I did not notice exactly when it started. Sorry. I will check on my home PC later.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

It looks like to issue is that after I make a change in my layout, the next time I start BA the menus are gone. If at any time, I pass the mouse or anything goes over that window, they come back. They stay gone on my secondary PC. I load back the default and the same issue happens, but they do come back on my primary PC.

May be my windows manager (XFCE), but it happens in Gnome as well.

I cannot do a screen capture as that anytime something touches the screen they come back. I'll keep trying.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Seems to be an issue of when I either resize my window or change the layout.

If I delete the .BibleAnalyzer directory, it seems to reset it. I'll keep experimenting.

EDIT:

Seems to be a wierd combination of resizing / window manager / tpye issue. Although BA is the ONLY app so far I have seen exhibit this kind of behaviour, and I have seen it on 2 separate computers, we will call it a local issue unless someone else sees it. I will keep playing around, though.

If you want to put my posts in a different thread, please doi so.

Just as a side note. When I redo the layout, the windows do not always align themselves as I would think. I will post a screen capture. It may just be a related issue to the window manager issues.

yerill

Post by yerill »

I also have a missing menu bar in linux. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, x86_64, Gnome classic (no effects), with a standard theme (ambiance). Bible analyzer is version 4.6.10, but I had 4.5.5 previously.

Untill I saw this topic, I wasn't aware there was a menu bar.

I just installed in 12.04 32 bit, running in virtualbox, with xfce4 as the DM, and I have a menu bar there.

Does the menubar have any dependancies on the display setting used?

strace shows that the menu is being opened.

open("/opt/bibleanalyzer/mainMenu.py", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/opt/bibleanalyzer/mainMenu.pyc", O_RDONLY) = 4

Also, 4,5,5 has been completely removed, and configuration files cleared and rebuilt.