5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Post by Tim »

Here is a deb of v5.2 for Linux,
http://www.BibleAnalyzer.com/files/bibl ... -1_all.deb

It appears most everything works like the mutual highlighting, etc., but I'm sure there are some quirks and bugs.

See the Windows beta post for all the changes in this version.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Re: 5.2 Beta Testing (Linux)

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
I install the deb file, then open bibleanalyzer from the menu. I get a quick flash of a box then nothing. I execute it from a terminal by typing bibleanalyzer and get this "/usr/bin/bibleanalyzer: line 4: /opt/BibleAnalyzer/ba-run.py: No such file or directory". Am I doing something wrong? I am running Linux Mint 18.1.

Darrel

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

I was having a similar problem, but apparently BA was getting farther for me than you. It was showing the splash screen but immediately showed the error reporting dialog. I was able to get past this error by renaming the ~/.config/bibleanalyzer/config.ini file as xconfig.ini to force BA to create a new config.ini file. I'm losing my prior settings this way but at least BA starts. Renaming this file may not help you, so your mileage may vary.

Also, it seems the .deb file doesn't contain the new modules that take advantage of the new features, like the PCEs bible or the StrongsEn dictionary modules (as well as others). I was able to download some of them from the Windows Beta thread but some modules (like the PCEs) aren't there.

Hope that helps.

Robert

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Mine does not get that far. It continually bombs on the line 4 error message, no /opt/BibleAnalyzer/ba-run.py missing. Even though it appears to exist.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Robert,

Your crash is caused by a bug when BA is shut down when the Parallel Tab is selected. It must have been set in the old config.ini. Until I get a new beta out, be sure the Parallel Tab is not selected when you close.

Also, the old PCE file is now the AVs and it is available in the free section of the Download Manager.

Darrel,

Yours sounds like a path issue. Try and run the /opt/BibleAnalyzer/ba-run.py file directly.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Try running it from the command line with this:

Code: Select all

python2 -u /opt/bibleanalyzer/ba-run.py
I looked at the menu entry properties and this is the command it has for running BA.

Robert

Edit: Tim beat me to it! LOL
Last edited by RobertRathbone on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Tim wrote:Robert,

Your crash is caused by a bug when BA is shut down when the Parallel Tab is selected. It must have been set in the old config.ini. Until I get a new beta out, be sure the Parallel Tab is not selected when you close.

Also, the old PCE file is now the AVs and it is available in the free section of the Download Manager.
I do spend a lot of time on the parallel view, and so that was indeed the case the last time I closed BA.

I went into the Download Manager and downloaded the AVs (dated 3/17/2017) but when I click the Strong's drop down, the "Show Strong's Numbers" is the only option available; the other three are grayed out. I'm probably missing something obvious. :) I've played with the Windows version at work so I know it was working there.

Suggestion: It would be nice if the download manager showed which modules have been updated so you can know that they need to be downloaded again, or have a "Sync" type of button that queues up updated modules (newer than the version currently installed) similar to the "Sync Purchases" button.

Thanks,
Robert

JPG

Post by JPG »

Novice Linux Mint 18.1 user. Just wanted to test this in a VM.

I get BA to run ok. But when I look at where it is installed it appears to be installed in my user documents -> BibleAnalyzer folder. Any modules downloaded install to the documents folder, and not in the correct subfolder.

[Edit]
It appears that downloaded modules are installed in the documents folder but have the naming convention of a folder structure. So I downloaded akjv.bib and it appears as a file called BibleAnalyzer\modules\bible\akjv.bib
0001 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_084854.png
0001 Jon theWord_2017-03-22_084854.png (19.17 KiB) Viewed 60823 times
Last edited by JPG on Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I also am running Linux Mint 18.1. Has anyone gotten multiword, with the Alt key, to work? I removed the old version 5.05, installed 5.2, and I have the following issues:

1. Shift key does not stop scrolling in Quick view
2. I rearrange modules in dictionary and bibles, close BA, reopen and it does not maintain the rearranged modules
3. Alt key does not show similar words as in Windows 5.2 in VirtualBox

Any ideas?

JPG

Post by JPG »

5.2.0.14 Linux

1. Shift key does not stop scrolling in Quick view [confirmed]
2. I rearrange modules in dictionary and bibles, close BA, reopen and it does not maintain the rearranged modules [confirmed]

3. Alt key does not show similar words as in Windows 5.2 in VirtualBox [Working, but the state of the Strong's number setting is not indicated as in windows, where the background of the icon is highlighted. So it can appear not to be working.?]
[Edit It appears that I only get the green markup that is indicating words and not Strong's numbers, which is indicated in purple]

Darrel,
1. Are you able to download and install resources and they actually show in BA
2. What is your installation path for BA
3. Where is your config.ini path
Last edited by JPG on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.