5.2 Beta Testing (Windows)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 5.2 Beta Testing (Windows)

Post by Tim »

Here is a new 5.2 exe that has some changes,
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibleanalyzer5.exe

Just move the file into your existing beta folder downloaded from the first post.

Some changes are,
  • Fixed issue with some texts under the Parallel tab being malformed. Primarily the TRi.
  • The StrongEn module will now show the search links after the entry.
  • Changed the font color of the Bible text to dark red when the Strong links are hidden. This makes the user aware the page is not in normal display mode.
  • Also added a line in the header stating the view is "Strong's Data Transparently Linked" mode (Changed from "Strong's active but hidden")
  • Added a requested feature to have combination word and Strong search on right-click. This will join the closest word to the number with the number and perform a Strong's search in Advanced Search. Only works while in Strong's Transparent" mode.
  • Added a link to an info window to the Parallel and MultiWindow headers that explains mutual highlighting
  • Plus a few bug fixes that don't come to mind at the moment.
Download and see how it does.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

Hi Tim,
The problem with changing the color when hiding SN shows up in the NT where the color of the words of Jesus, which shows as red, are now buried in the entire text being turned red. Could you rework this feature, possibly using a different color?

Darrel

JPG

Post by JPG »

Tim, thanks for the update.
Just to say personally I don't like the red text idea.
Would like the option to turn it off.
Also conflicts with Jesus words in red not working especially in parallel view.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I am not sure about the red either. I'll probably not do it. I am just trying to think of a way to distinguish the hidden link mode because of the emails I'll get from users saying the page is not working like the others. Maybe a slightly different page background color...or maybe just the notification in the header will be enough.

By the way, Red-letter does not work in Strong Transparent mode. It is temporarily suspended while in that view mode. The tags made the highlighting more difficult.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

JPG

Post by JPG »

I would not worry about it. You have the icons that indicate footnotes, interlinear, paragraphs, Strong's etc. I don't suppose anyone gets confused with those. The only confusing thing is with the TRi that it is not TRIs

darrel_jw

Post by darrel_jw »

I sure hope you can do something to make BA 5.2 work in Wine. I run native Linux and will not go back to Windows. I can run BA 5.2 in VirtualBox, but there is a performance hit. I can run almost all Windows programs in Wine and do not have a performance hit, so please take a look at this. I can also run BA 5.1 in Wine quite nicely.

Darrel

rubeng

Post by rubeng »

A few bugs I have come across:

When I open the program and right click on a word in the Bible text, the context menu shows "Joh7" instead of the correct Book-Chapter-Verse combination (in this case it should be "Joh 1:7"). Note that this only happens when you do it the first time. If you change to another tab and do it again, then it displays correctly.
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.46.35.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.46.35.png (18.07 KiB) Viewed 28156 times
After running a search, the last part of the last verse in the results list is not displaying the Strong's numbers as superscripts (see from "had received[G2983]" onwards)
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.39.45.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.39.45.png (18.97 KiB) Viewed 28156 times

rubeng

Post by rubeng »

Some more bugs...

See screenshot below. I was trying to write 1John, but anytime I enter "1" I get this error message. I've noticed that this is also the case in the current release version (5.1).
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.53.42.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.53.42.png (58.64 KiB) Viewed 28155 times
This is a question more than a bug. Is the fact that only 18 results are displayed when I type "b" a limitation of the program or a choice? I mean, couldn't we have a scroll slider and have every word that starts with a "b" listed there? I assume the current order is based on decreasing numbers, but shouldn't it be alphabetical? Just curious...
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.50.09.png
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-02 a las 10.50.09.png (29.47 KiB) Viewed 28155 times
Finally, I appreciate your effort in allowing us to search for the word + the Strong's number via the context menu (e.g., witness-G3140) when Strong's data is transparently linked, but I'm still missing a search for the number alone (i.e., G3140), which allows for a more interesting and detailed search, irrespective of the word that is attached to it in the translation. Would that be possible? Moreover, when searching for a specific Strong's number could we have the option to have the search results highlight both the number and the word(s) attached to it?

Sorry if I am pushing the envelope too much. Again, I thank you for all your hard work. To my mind, this point update deserves to be a major upgrade. Great features!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Ruben,

I'll look into the superscript issue.

I can't reproduce the issue when you enter a "1" in the suggestion box. Is your locale set to Spanish? I wonder if that may cause it in some way?
dropdown.jpg
dropdown.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 28148 times
The dropdown is limited to 18 entries because I don't want it to be too long. Some use BA on a tablet and screen space is a premium. (This is also an issue with the right-click menu.) The items are sorted by frequency because usually this will bring the word the user wants near the top with just two or three characters. Initially, the drop down was alphabetical and I found it sometimes took longer to get the word one wants.

With the Strong's Number in the right-cliock menu, it is still there when any of the Strong's setting except "Transparent" is selected. Again, the issue is the length of the right-click menu. It can span the vertical dimension of small display. Plus if the user has their screen font set larger than default it can truncate it even more. I took "Print Preview" out of the menu to add the word-Strong item.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I have a question for those of you following this beta.

You notice there are two Strong's resources, StrongEx and StrongEn. "Ex" has the most concise definition which is ideal for popups, and "En" has more info plus links to other resources. Furthermore, "Ex" has the Strong's reference list and this list is required by the Strong/AV Indexer used by the MultiWindow. "En" has the new Search Link word/phrase list which does a realtime search of the word/phrase linked to the number. Having both resources is somewhat redundant, however each have their benefits.

The question is, how would it be best to combine the two? Remember, the Strong's reference list is required (but it doesn't have to be displayed).
Tim Morton