Bible Analyzer 5 Linux Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
RobertRathbone

Re: Bible Analyzer 5 Linux Beta

Post by RobertRathbone »

I was preparing screenshots to show you the difference between tooltips in BA versus tooltips in other programs in KDE5, but while I was doing that, I noticed that Gimp has the same issue of tooltips with white text on a gray background. Since most other programs have white on black tooltips, I realized that the problem is the way KDE5 (which is Qt5 based) renders Gtk programs. I went to KDE's Gtk settings and was able to solved the tooltip issue. I thought you'd like to know. :D

However, 5.0.0.20 still has issues with buttons (and other widget) not being large enough to display their captions. Here are a couple of examples:
BA MCP buttons.png
BA MCP buttons.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 45704 times
Notice that the tabbed list on the left isn't wide enough to display the text of all the tabs. I wonder if it's possible for the widget's width to scale depending on the text instead of being fixed since available fonts will vary from system to system (and OS to OS). Also notice some of the buttons aren't wide enough for their text either.
BA ACL buttons.png
BA ACL buttons.png (19.78 KiB) Viewed 45704 times
Another example of button size issues: the "ACF", "VL" and "WL" buttons are clipping their text.

I'm not familiar with wxWidgets and their features, but hopefully you can figure out a solution that will make the widgets adaptable to the machine they are running on.

Keep up the good work!
Robert Rathbone

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The button sizes change somewhat between Linux distros. The reason the text is truncated on some of them is I manually set the width of the button so it wouldn't crowd the toolbars and other containers too much. If they were left at default size they wouldn't work well. Linux buttons (as well as Mac) are pretty large compared to Windows.

I'll look at making those you have shown a little larger so they will fit in more distros.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is probably the last beta for Linux.

It now will install the Greek and Hebrew fonts needed as well as the "old font" for the AV-1611.

It also fixes the annoyance of the search results scrolling back to the top when a link is clicked in it. The results should also stay in the last scrolled position when tabs are changed Results Panel. If the window is resized or layout changed, all pages (except the Bible if a verse is selected) will reset and scroll to the top.

There are a few other minor refinements and changes, which I forget right now...but try it out. If it works all right the next one will be a release candidate.

http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibl ... -0_all.deb
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

See this topic for an alternate install type of Bible Analyzer 5,
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=836

This deb contains all the libraries needed.
Tim Morton

onio

Post by onio »

Hi All,

I just managed to install Bible Analyzer 5 on my linux machine version shown below
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

On clicking on the the downloaded bibleanalyzer_5.0-0_all.deb (Normal version) package, I get python-wxgtk3.0 dependency error.
To Solve this I open up a terminal window entered the following command to add repository to my sources.list file

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu vivid main universe"
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0

After this has completed successfully, went back to the downloaded bibleanalyzer_5.0-0_all.deb double clicked and this installed correctly.

Regards

onio

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

Thanks for that post, onio. I finally got BA to install under linux mint 17.2 using your information.

Bill

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, loading a newer repository is required for Mint. It is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and BA requires 14.10 or later. The next version of Mint should be based on a later release.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is a new Linux beta,
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/files/bibl ... -4_all.deb

This will now view the Exhaustive Library of Bible Locations links, plus the RTL texts such as Hebrew and Arabic will display RTL.

And these are fixed,

Scrolling now works in ScripturePad
ScripturePad drop down menu now works
The popups in MultiBible searches now show the right Bible version

Plus some other little things.
Tim Morton

Alec

Post by Alec »

onio,

Thank you. Your instructions enabled the 5.0.4 Linux beta to install without a problem. Much appreciated and happy Christmas!

Alec

Linux Mint 17.2

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

Since I did the above I can't use update manager any longer. I get the following message.
"Could not refresh the list of updates
E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be cause by held packages."

Any ideas how to get update manager working again?