Bible Analyzer 5 Linux Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Alec

Re: Bible Analyzer 5 Linux Beta

Post by Alec »

Hi wsbones,

Did you remove the added repository? You can do so through the Update Manager as follows:

Update Manager Edit Menu -> Software Sources
Additional Repositories
Uncheck Ubuntu

See if this helps.

Alec

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

Thanks Alec,

I just figured that out. I appreciate the post.

Bill

Alec

Post by Alec »

Good to hear. :)

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

I installed Linux Mint 17.3 but couldn't install BA. I tried using the information in the post by Onio on the previous page, but I get the following messages. Any ideas? Thanks. I need clear instruction :)

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu vivid main universe"
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk3.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-wxgtk3.0 : Depends: libwxbase3.0-0 (>= 3.0.1) but 3.0.0-2 is to be installed
Depends: libwxgtk3.0-0 (>= 3.0.1) but 3.0.0-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Alec

Post by Alec »

Hi wsbones,

Yes, I can confirm that the earlier steps no longer work with Linux Mint 17.3. When I went to reinstall, I received the same error you get.

Very sad!
Alec

wsbones

Post by wsbones »

Alec wrote:Hi wsbones,

Yes, I can confirm that the earlier steps no longer work with Linux Mint 17.3. When I went to reinstall, I received the same error you get.

Very sad!
Alec
I installed VirtualBox in linux and Win10 as a virtual machine. BA works very well that way. Tim said there would be a linux update pretty soon that would solve the problem. In the meanwhile you can install win10 home or enterprise for 3 months free by getting the ISO file from Microsoft, or if you have a license for win10 you can use that to register a permanent copy.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Ubuntu 16.04, though very nice, came out with a major bug. The software center would not install third party software. However, I could install with the Debi package manager. I tried 4.7, 4.9, and 5.0, but either the version did not install or would not open.

However, promises were made that the bug would be fixed, which happened just now, and I installed 5.0. It will not open. I have to find where I put 4.7 and 4.9, and then I will try them.

RobertRathbone

Post by RobertRathbone »

Now that Ubuntu has the snap package system, maybe Tim can look into creating a snap package install for Bible Analyzer, since snaps are supposed to include all the dependencies a program needs and thereby solve all the issues of broken dependencies (in theory at least). I think the next Linux Mint release is supposed to be based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and I assume will therefore inherit support for snaps. A snap package should then theoretically work for both Unbuntu (and all it's flavors) as well as the new Linux Mint going forward. But that's "in theory" of course. "In practice" could be a totally different story.

Robert Rathbone

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I will take a look at the snap system once v5 is ready for Ubuntu 16.04 and the soon coming Mint release based on 16.04. Ideally, BA will find and install any dependencies through the package manager as before. This will keep the BA download size to a minimum. But if Snap is a viable system for BA, we may use it as well.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Alec

Post by Alec »

Thanks Tim!
I'm keen to get Bible Analyzer working again on my desk computer (currently LM 17.3). Appreciate all your hard work.
Alec