Export Page to MultiWindow

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
JPG

Export Page to MultiWindow

Post by JPG »

beta 5.0.0.23

I noticed that there is a confusing behavior when sending from a commentary to MultiWindow. If you select a verse of a commentary in the IDX tab of the Verse Index window, and then try to send the data from the commentary window by clicking the Export to MultiWindow icon, you don't necessarily send what you see in the view, because it will still be synced from the Bible view, as shown in my example, it will send the data from 1Cor 1:16 and not 2Cor 1:2
2015-04-12 00 05 51.png
2015-04-12 00 05 51.png (32.17 KiB) Viewed 25258 times

Tim
Site Admin

Re: Export Page to MultiWindow

Post by Tim »

This is a good catch. The issue is I'm not sure how to handle views that are not linked to the current or active verse.

I think it is best to keep the Commentary synced to the current verse (if Sync is on) even if a different page is displayed via the Verse Index, cross link, etc. Otherwise, it would be more confusing if the user thinks the commentaries are linked to the current verse but it changes with each page view from the Verse Indexer.

However, the Export to MW button should export the visible page regardless. Even if the sync is still the current verse (the verse in the commentary verse list entry box).

I'll change this.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

JPG

Post by JPG »

I might as well suggest something that would be easily understood by the user.

Could you in these Verse index cases to commentaries, simply add a header to the target topic stating the situation.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Note :- Content is not synchronized to current verse of Bible view, or Commentary toolbar, |
| because is was sent from the Verse index window |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Then when such a topic is sent to the MultiWindow, strip off that header

Jon

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

A nice idea but the problem would be the user would almost never see it because the display auto scrolls to the position of the verse.

The same situation occurs with a library search. When a user selects a page to view it is not synced to the current word or verse. However, in both cases verses or words are highlighted, so if the user realizes any page displayed with highlighted text is not synced, there should not be an issue. But I understand most users won't realize that...at least at not first.

I'll think about it some more.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

JPG

Post by JPG »

Of course I made a schoolboy error with that suggestion, I was on a short topic....

Other solutions I have seen for this sort of thing, is to display a popup that states the situation. On that dialog you can just click OK to close it. When it finally becomes annoying to you there is the option in the dialog to not show the popup again. Of course there would need to be a reset option in the prefs somewhere for such dialogues.

Jon

JPG

Post by JPG »

Hi Tim,
I notice another slightly confusing situation exists in the "Manage MultiWindow Pages" when exporting the non-linked pages of a commentary, is that the resource and verse reference are recorded as the synchronized topic and not the one from the Multi Window.
I have shown the two topics in a merge in the background, showing their real verse origin.
2015-04-15 21 27 52.png
2015-04-15 21 27 52.png (61.1 KiB) Viewed 25224 times

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, this is another issue very similar to your first post.

When creating the export title for the MW the code uses the current verse for the reference. This works OK except when the commentary page is generated by a click in the Verse Index Panel or a cross link. However, In some instances the user may prefer this way if they are doing a study on a specific passage, but in other instances they may not. I may leave it as it is for now since the page reference is found in the page heading.

Thanks.
Tim Morton