Bible Analyzer 4.9 Beta (Linux)

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Bible Analyzer 4.9 Beta (Linux)

Post by Tim »

I just uploaded a beta of 4.9 for Linux. It has been tested on Linux Mint 15 and seems to work well there. There are some changes from the previous Linux editions of Bible Analyzer.

Past Permissions Issues

As some of you who follow this forum know, Linux permissions have been a pain. Not only to me but to many users who don't understand them. The main issue since 4.7 has been the generation of indexes within many of the modules. Since the modules have been in the protected /opt folder anytime an index was generated root permission was required. Now with the Download Manager, if a user wanted to download a title, root permissions were required to install the file. This is an added burden plus it scares some people. I would get emails from people, "Why do I need to enter my password...?" "This is dangerous...." I would reply "You have to enter your password when you install an app don't you? Now you are just installing some more files."

Anyway, I decided, for good or bad, to place all the modules in the user's /Documents folder. Some developers place files such as this in the hidden .config folder, but I wanted to give users easy access to them. This also avoids the permissions issues, but it does have some drawbacks:

* The app must still be installed in the protected /opt folder for the Software Center
* If the modules are in a user folder, another user will have access to the BA app but not the modules thus BA won't start.

How I dealt with these matters:

I placed all the included modules in a zip archive that will install in the /opt folder with the BA app. When BA is first run after installation, it will look for a /Documents/BibleAnalyzer/Modules folder and if found try to start. If the folder is not found it will create one and populate it with all the standard installation titles in their designated folders. If the /Documents/BibleAnalyzer folder is deleted, Bible Analyzer will just regenerate a new one on next start. This will allow any user to have their own set of modules.

The only downside I see is the compressed module archive is stored in the /opt folder, but it is only around 8MB and should not be much of an issue.

If this arrangement causes issues or I have missed something, let me know. But I think it is the best compromise. No more passwords and each user has their own set of modules without having to reinstall.

Also, this version has an option to add another path to a module location somewhere else, such as another drive or thumbdrive. See Options I.

Here is the link,
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/bibleanaly ... -2_all.deb
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

nymusicman

Re: Bible Analyzer 4.9 Beta (Linux)

Post by nymusicman »

For Ubuntu 14.04 please add the package python-pil to the deb depedency list.

Thanks!

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Yes, that needs added.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

So the software kept crashing when trying to install the Clarence Larkin Bundle.

And after some debugging I found out that the folder created was the

'text/images' folder instead of

'text/Images'

With Linux being case sensitive the module couldn't find the 'text/Images' folder and crashed.

After renaming with the appropriate capital 'I' all seems to be going well!

rob4Christ

Post by rob4Christ »

Looking good so far..

No sign ins, sync worked, image viewer bug fixed, and just seems
to work better and faster..

Thanks Tim, and God Bless

Rob V.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Good.

There are a couple issues, the Bible paragraph view doesn't always work and as mentioned need to add PIL to the dependencies. Will try to have a new beta before long.
Tim Morton

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

We uploaded a new beta (4.9.2.12). Same link as before.

This fixes,

* Paragraph View
* python-imaging dependency
* User Manual now updated and accessible
* Quick Entry "Suggestion Box" now shows words sorted by frequency as well as references.

Let me know if any issues.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

I installed as an upgrade through the Software Center. It seems to be working well. However, in 4.8, I could not get the program to restart with the last page of the prior session in order to create a default. This is true in 4.9 as well. Further, there is a blue panel to the right with Bible Themes etc. that never goes away. It just is stubborn. I can live with it. My preference with start up is just a Bible screen with the AV and the Bible tree. But the start up screen is not all that important. I'll look at other stuff later, but it looks alright so far.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Can you send me a screenshot of what you are seeing?
Tim Morton