Linux/Ubuntu 4.6.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
Tim
Site Admin

Linux/Ubuntu 4.6.5 Beta

Post by Tim »

We have updated the Linux edition to v4.6.5 to match the Windows and Mac editions. The main differences between 4.5 and 4.6.5 are the Library Indexing features and the Themes display feature. These are two new tabs in the Bible Reference Panel. For more info on the features see the videos on our home page.

Linux Changes

Concerning this Linux edition a change has been made as to where the config files are stored. Now they are stored in the .config/bibleabalyzer folder. This seems to be the accepted location for now. The modules are still in the usr/shars/bibleanalyzer/modules folder.

Module Package Changes

All Linux modules packages are now in the .run format. This format designed by the makeself utility, is simply a shell script with an archive appended to the end. With this the module(s) and the installation script can be contained in one package. This is the simplest installation method for Linux we are aware of.
  • Download the *.run files from BibleAnalyzer.com
    Make each script executable. To do that graphically,
    Right-click on the file and select Properties and then the Permissions Tab
    (or using Terminal type chmod -x BA-filename.run)
    Check the box that says, "Allow executing file as program"
    Once this is done click Close
    Double-click the .run file
    Select "Run in Terminal" at the prompt
    Follow Terminal instructions
For more info, see this page, http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/linux.htm

Modules Added / Store Updated

We have updated all our Linux packages to the .run format. Also, we have added more Linux resources to our Modules Page. Furthermore, when an order is made for a premium module from the Bible Analyzer Store, the .run package links are emailed to the user as well as the Windows and Mac links.

Ubuntu Software Center

Once this beta has been tested, we will attempt to submit Bible Analyzer for Linux to the Ubuntu Software Center. More on this later.

Here is the link to the Linux 4.6.5 beta,
http://www.bibleanalyzer.com/bibleanaly ... -5_all.deb

Let us know of any issue you encounter.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.6.5 Beta

Post by MPaul »

Well, Tim, by now you know I have trouble understanding things.

I downloaded the upgrade. I right clicked on it and opened in the software center. I opened the program, and there was a screen saying some files would be installed.

Then, the program opened, but no bible texts will display. The dictionaries and commentaries were OK. So, I decided to make a post. While doing so, I opened BA again, and the bible texts displayed. Apparently, I had to close the program and reopen, before it worked right. Hmm... I remember on one earlier edition, I had to restart the computer for BA to work right.

As near as I can tell now, it is all very neat, indeed. Do I still have to use terminal commands to install different bibles? I could use the Reina-Valera Gomez just now.

At any rate, I'll play around and report later if there are any problems.

Thank you for the upgrade, and may God bless you for your work in blessing others.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

OK -- my first problem (not that I am expecting any others).

In text to speech -- it sounded like gibberish. I have had this problem before, and it was a matter of setting the language, at control/preferences/text to speech. It was set to Bosnian this time, and I reset to English. However, this reset caused BA to be unresponsive, and then generated an Ubuntu internal error report, prompting a restart of computer. Also, the language stayed at Bosnian, and another time it went to Afrakaans -- (so is that some kind of KJV Afrakaans, or that translation? Never mind. I haven't been conversing with anyone from South Africa lately).

I really like the navigation window, for jumping to verses. It works perfectly, and that is going to be a great help to me.

Everything else I've tried seems really nice. But I have not tested yet a lot of the specialty stuff.

I still have to use the terminal to put new resources in the modules. I don't mind, but it could affect the program's popularity, so we want to keep praying on that.

Also, Tim, if you don't mind the suggestion -- just one person's opinion -- the way installing and using the program in Linux is described on the BA website could be simplified, which could affect whether people want to try it. If you would like, I could try to write up something on that as an example which could influence how you might change it, and which would come from the perspective of someone not trained in computers.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Thanks for checking it out.

I will look at the no Bibles on first start issue and the voice issue.

Concerning the modules, there is not any way available yet in Linux to install any add-on material without using a shell script and Terminal. We have looked and asked others repeatedly and it is just not there. .deb files are primarily for main applications, not add-ons. That is just the Linux way. Terminal is still a significant part of Linux.

The .run files are the easiest way we could find. The script and archive are in one file. Simply change the permission to "executable" and then "run" the script in .

Yes, if you want to rewrite the Linux help page, feel free to do so and send it along and we will consider it.
Tim Morton

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Excellent work, Tim. I thank you so much for your support of the Linux community.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

So the last time we did a Beta, the command for moving modules into BA was --
sudo mv ~/Downloads/*.bib/usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible

That command does not work now. So how would the command work now? And what would be the command to move a file back to Downloads?

For installing files with the .run Script/Archives, the first step set out under the Linux Download page is, "Download the *.run files from bibleanalyzer.com." So how do I find this download? I want to see what this feature is about and how it works.

Tim, these questions relate to finishing the Linux rewrite help page I had sent you an early draft of.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Everything I'm testing now seems real smooth -- all just very nice. However, I cannot get the Dual View to work. Maybe, I'm just doing it wrong, but I read the directions under the Help section, and that does not help.

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You should not have to move the files from your downloads folder as before.

The .run files are found on the Modules page under the Linux links for the free modules. Here is an example for the Topical collection, http://bibleanalyzer.com/Free/BA-Topical.run

Just download the above file, set it to "executable", and then double-click and select "Run in Terminal." In Terminal you will need to enter your password and the modules should install.
Tim Morton

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Tim,

OK, I downloaded the link and followed the screenshots and it worked. It's not hard at all, once the process is known. However, I think you have to get rid of the technical language, which only confuses those of us with no computer training. I will send some suggestion in later.... but tell me, if I download a module, it always is a .run file? That is my guess.

But now my question is -- how do I remove a file from a module? I think that is important.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

In scrolling on the bible page, at times I cannot stop it, and the screen goes dark, and program is noted as unresponsive. However, I think this only occurs using the touch pad. I have to close BA and reopen. I had this problem with the last Beta, but then, on installing the final version, it stopped, except for once in a while. However, maybe, it is just the computer I'm using – Thinkpad T61, 3 GB RAM.

The Greek MSS Tree is a very nice chart for the viewpoint represented, but the resolution is bad, and thus, the side notes are very hard to read.

My impression is that modules only come in .run now. If that is the case, then it would seem I will not be able to install my previously purchased modules, which are .bib and .cmt, in future fresh installs of BA – unless there is a terminal command available. It is also my impression, that modules downloaded as bundles, using the .run installation method, install all resources from the bundle, and selecting individual resources for installation is no longer an option – and so having a terminal command available as a second installation method would be very, very nice. But then, how would I separate the resources in the .run file? I think there still must be some kind of terminal command to install the old resources I have.

I'll keep checking stuff out in between things.