Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
MPaul

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by MPaul »

The 2 Bibles should not display. [/quote]

OK, I'm pretty sure you mean, the 2 Bibles should display. But if I click the hide button, the little window goes away and nothing else happens.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

Do you have the "Book / Articles" pane open? This is where the other Bible will display, under a tab called "Dual"

I have included this attachment. On the left of the Master Control Panel window is the AV Bible at Romans 9. To the right of the Master Control Panel window is the DUAL Bible TRi, also at Romans 9. These 2 Bibles were selected in the Dual Bible Viewer Window.
Attachments
Screenshot - 06042012 - dual.png
Screenshot - 06042012 - dual.png (183.16 KiB) Viewed 24175 times

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:Do you have the "Book / Articles" pane open? This is where the other Bible will display, under a tab called "Dual"
OK, I selected my two bibles and went to Books/Articles from the menu. Sure enough there is a Dual tab, but only one bible shows. There is no Dual icon in this pane. However, if I set the Dual bibles from the Master Control while in this pane, still only one bible shows.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

The other Bible will be in the normal Bible pane, with it's normal name. WIll only say Dual in the Books pane.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:The other Bible will be in the normal Bible pane, with it's normal name. WIll only say Dual in the Books pane.
OK, I think I get it. I choose two bibles. One appears in the bible pane, and the other appears in the resources pane under the Dual tab. Then, I click the B in the tool bar to see the first bible: and I click the R in the tool bar to see the second bible. And I can switch back and forth by clicking the B and R in the tool bar. That works with the Beta I have installed.

I thought the Dual meant that two windows appeared side by side for comparison of two different texts -- which is what I am used to from other bible software programs.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

You can have more than 1 window up at the same time. Check the manual for layout options. Like this:
Screenshot - 06042012 - dual2.png
Screenshot - 06042012 - dual2.png (152.94 KiB) Viewed 24170 times

You can do over / under or side-by-side. You close / drag / drop panes and set up the layout you want.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:You can have more than 1 window up at the same time. Check the manual for layout options. Like this:

You can do over / under or side-by-side. You close / drag / drop panes and set up the layout you want.
The screen shot you posted only has one window. But I will take your word for it. I will try to figure out how to do more than one window. However, I did figure out how to reduce the size of one window by using the white arrow that appears at the end of the screen on the right. That's progress.

I wonder -- in Windows one could probably open BA twice and put the second one on an extended monitor. That increases the possibilities. In Ubuntu, in Unity at least I cannot open BA twice (maybe, in Gnome) and I can only use a mirror second monitor. But the day is coming. However, I could just put a second laptop beside the first one for more Windows and possibilities, or beside a PC.

Since my last post, I was looking at Zechariah 13:6. OMG, have the modern versions messed this up, and it is hard to believe it is not deliberate, to remove the possibility of a reference to Christ's crucifixion. What I would like to thoroughly review it is, a JPS 1917 interlinear, a modern JPS interlinear, a Christian Hebrew interlinear, the KJV, and several modern versions. With two monitors, it would be fairly easy, and it would make a complex study simple. But my day is coming.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Ok, there is a way to open BA twice in Unity. I was using the side launcher. But if I open from the launcher, and then from the Dash Home, I have the program opened twice. I can resize the windows and they appear side by side, but they overlap somewhat. But the one clicked on moves to the front.

I tried a side by side window in just one opened BA. I can get them to appear side by side, but one window is so narrow that it is useless, and the larger window then will not resize.

However, if I open BA and bring up a bible and size to half the screen, I then can bring up the JPS 1917 beside it in html in a browser. and have a side by side screen. The html file is found online or can be downloaded.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

This morning the uncontrolled scrolling with erratic screen brightness made the use of the BA program completely useless, and repeatedly. It was really bad, the worst ever. And when I tried to exist the program, a screen came up saying it was not responding, and I would have to do a forced quite. Fortunately, I was at a place with an internet connection, and I was still able to get something done. However, I had two things going lately which involved heavy spiritual resistance. I just withdrew from one, and trying again just now, the scrolling worked so magnificently, it was incredible. Oh well.....

paeuk

Post by paeuk »

Hi,

Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I don't appear to be using the Python 2.8.11 dependency for installing the software.

I've tried to download and install Python 2.8.11 manually but there are other dependencies which Python 2.8.11 then needs, so I've also tried to install those without success unfortunately.

Can someone recommend please the simplest way to install the Python 2.8.11 with dependencies that would enable me to load this BA 4.5 - I was thinking about adding a repository to my package updater but can't find which one. Not being a Linux expert means I've hit a brick wall :)

Many thanks for any advice.

Paul