Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Issues and Comments on the Current Beta Versions
MPaul

Re: Linux/Ubuntu 4.5 Beta

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install p7zip-full rar arj lha
This will allow the archive manager to see more compressed file types. You should then be able to go into an .exe module file.

Put the module file in your ~/Documents/modules folder and you should see it. BA won't see it on your desktop.
How interesting!! I always learn stuff by Beta testing. I think I get more out of it than the software creators. I'm going to try this tomorrow to see what appears then in the archive manager.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Tim,

I got the bundle downloaded and extracted. For now, I have only put the Strong's and BDB with Thayer dictionaries and the Greek interlinear in the program. I may not use the other files for now, or even for a long while.

I have never seen a Greek interlinear like this before. But it sure is an interesting layout. I am attaching a screen shot of how it appears at Romans chp. 1. Is this the correct font and layout and everything? (I hope it looks OK, when the post comes through, as I had to change it from a jpeg to a gif, as the former was to large a file).

First, that is the weirdest looking Pi I have ever seen. It will take some getting used to, but I will adjust.

If one roles over the numbers superscripted beside a word, a screen pops up with the Greek word in red, transliteration, pronunciation, and definition. 1. Note the words in the text do not have accents, but in the pop up screen they do. I guess the missing accents in the text does not matter. 2. the definitions are brief but good, which also can be a very nice approach. 3. The pronunciations are the best I have seen. This pronuciation guide is a really great. In seminary, they do not teach pronunciation, which is why just about no one really masters Greek. They are not learning the language but how to decode the language. It is a major teaching mistake. And trying to learn correct pronunciation on one's own is difficult, unless one has a guide such as this, and then, YouTube videos can help a lot, when done by someone Greek. So this feature of the software is really nice.

I was looking at the BDB with Thayer's and the Strong's dictionary. I don't know what I can do with these dictionaries, as the index does not work, as far as I know. If I click the index icon, a window pops up. If I type in a word, a screen comes up saying the AV-Strong Index is not loaded, while giving me a link to buy the bundle. This happens if I am in Strong's or BDB/Thayer. So, there is no way to navigate the dictionary. Of course, with the interlinear, the Strong's definition does come up in the little window that appears by rolling over the number. I wonder, would that pop up window with Strong's entry, if the Strong's dictionary were not installed?

Hmmm... maybe, I should install the other files temporarily, just to see how they work.

Well, this is enough for today.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

OK, the file is still too big as a gif, and it will not attach. Let me see what I can do, and maybe, I can post it a bit later.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

However, this Beta testing is really hard. There is a force against everything I am trying to do. Let's see if the attachment will post this time.
Attachments
Rom 1.jpg
Rom 1.jpg (229.82 KiB) Viewed 22034 times

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

You should not get the "Strong's not loaded" dialog since you have it. Let me check the Linux code later today and see what the issue is. It may just be the Strong's module needs renamed. It should be StrongEX.dct.
Tim Morton
Developer, Bible Analyzer

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 4:5 AV)

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Let me make a side note, because this is all so wonderful. I've always said that BA is anointed.

The pronunciation of the Greek text in BA is different than like biblos.com or Libronix -- but I like it. A couple months ago I was moaning in prayer to God that my Greek pronunciation was not right, and that it was keeping me from understanding the spirit of the language and from really knowing his soul, drawing near to him, while reading the bible in Greek. This BA Greek text is the answer. I know I have to use this pronunciation, because there is the spirit of the language.

[Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying one has to know Greek or Hebrew for the spirit of biblical language to bring a person closer to God. He/she can do it with the KJV, because these translators used Tyndale's Tudor expression. And Tyndale was not really using the language of the 1540s, but he tweaked it to be a biblical expression, and that has a lot to do with the anointing that is on the KJV. However, I have never been able to find that spirit of language in the Greek, and that has hurt my study of the NT a lot. With Hebrew it was always so much easier. I know, most people do not think like this, but I know it is true, because I never went to high school that much, but instead I would read Shakespeare every day, even if I had to force myself to sober up to do it. And, I think the KJVER, the Sword Bible, with just updated language, not changes in translation such as the NKJV has, retains the essence of that biblical language which Tyndale developed.]

I installed some of the other files from the bundle, and they are really neat. I think they have the same index problem. I'll comment on them later, after I use them some more.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Brother Mike wrote:Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install p7zip-full rar arj lha
This will allow the archive manager to see more compressed file types. You should then be able to go into an .exe module file.

Put the module file in your ~/Documents/modules folder and you should see it. BA won't see it on your desktop.
OMG, you are Amazing! I installed the p7zip per you instructions, and now I can extract .exe files. The folders come out different, and one has to look for the internal data folder, and the modules are inside of it. I extracted three different .exe files.

BTW, moving files to the modules folder in Documents does not work in Ubuntu 12.04. I have to move them using sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.bib /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible (or commentary or dictionary) with the terminal. But you see, I move the files from the Desktop, where I keep them handy.

Do you know a command I could use to rename the bible files with the terminal. If I number the bibles in their name, that controls the order in the parallel bible display.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

Tim wrote:You should not get the "Strong's not loaded" dialog since you have it. Let me check the Linux code later today and see what the issue is. It may just be the Strong's module needs renamed. It should be StrongEX.dct.
It is named, "s-strongEX.dct" So I have to rename it. I just asked Mike if he knows a sudo command for renaming files. So you want Strong with a capital S, not a lower case s? After I find a command, I'll give it a try and it should work then.

MPaul

Post by MPaul »

OK, another side note. I have installed all the files from the Bible study module. This package is amazing!!!! I never thought of doing it this way -- that is, using these resources as a package. I am keeping them all installed, and my Greek sufficiency should improve dramatically. Where did you get the idea for the resources of this package? They just work perfectly together. (And where can I get something like this in Hebrew? Why not improve there also?)

When I bought the K&D package, all I was interested in was K&D, but I did install Henry, cause he is pretty good. Now I wonder if I should install and look at the other commentaries -- I mean, is it that you just have some neat way of putting packages together? But I don't know. In truth, I always focus most on literary structure, which is quite different in ancient writing, and then, I usually do not feel I need much commentary -- but some.

I'll keep testing things as time permits.

Brother Mike

Post by Brother Mike »

MPaul wrote: BTW, moving files to the modules folder in Documents does not work in Ubuntu 12.04. I have to move them using sudo mv ~/Desktop/*.bib /usr/share/bibleanalyzer/modules/bible (or commentary or dictionary) with the terminal. But you see, I move the files from the Desktop, where I keep them handy.
OK. Now I understand what you were saying
Do you know a command I could use to rename the bible files with the terminal. If I number the bibles in their name, that controls the order in the parallel bible display.
Actually, the rename command in Linux is the same as move.

1) Open a terminal
2) cd to the directory that the file is in
3) sudo mv filename.xxx newname.yyy

So...

sudo mv s-strongEX.dct S-strongEX.dct

If that is how you want to name it.